Thursday, April 22, 2010

My Addiction

Let's face it. If you have been acquainted with me for any length of time you are probably well aware of my addiction to treaties...A.K.A: Treats, candy, desserts, sweets, sugar...you get the idea. I am usually the first one to ask for dessert, the first one to have dessert, and sometimes the only one to go back multiple times. When I was in highschool I would sometimes get home from school and make a treatie (like a pan of Rice Krispie Treats) and eat the whole thing before anyone knew I made it.

My biggest weakness is donuts. I scream in sheer joy when I see the "Hot Doughnuts Now" sign outside of Krispy Kreme (It's true. Ask Jason). When I was pregnant with Eliza, Caleb and I went for "walks" most days and inevitably stopped by the Provo Bakery (just 8 blocks from our house) for a doughnut.

You may wonder why I am not extremely overweight. I think it is because I am so active. In fact when I went on my mission I stopped exercising and gained thirty pounds...no one is allowed to see those pictures, by the way. I have tried to be more disciplined about how many treats I consume but lets face it...I don't have much control over my body.

Well, this whole thing came to a head in February when I consumed about 2 1/2 dozen cookies (yes, that is 30 cookies) by myself....in one day (watching the Olympics, of all things). You know those chocolate cookies with Rolos in the centers? Who could resist....not me, that's for sure. I knew I needed to take drastic measures and that I just couldn't go on like this anymore. My body felt awful; I was tired all the time and I had to take naps everyday (even though I got 9 hours of sleep at night). In the past, I tried limiting treats to two a week but that didn't work very well so I just decided to go cold turkey (completely without sugar) for at least 6 weeks. That meant no honey, no syrup, no added sugar, no nothing.

I was really scared that I wouldn't follow through so I didn't tell anyone for a while. Well, I am happy to say that I am on my seventh week of being sugar free and going strong (well, except for a cupcake on my birthday, but who can blame me?). This is going so well that I have extended it until July. I feel like I have so much more energy and I hardly ever take naps anymore. The best thing is that I am eating a ton of fruits and vegetables.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Hey, I know what a treatie is...You introduced me way back when in DT!! I've done a sugar strike before. I like to do them every once in awhile to keep me in check. But I still take naps. I can't help it! I'll just tell myself it's because I get up before the sun to run and workout. That balances out, right? :)

Shapiro said...

Katherine, you inspire me... I have just been thinking the past few days how I've had it and it's time to lose the baby weight from Nathan. I have been more tired the past few weeks and yesterday I decided, that's it... it's diet time... then I just read your post... you need things like this to remind you and keep your willpower and motivation up! So thanks! Keep up the great work... that is AWESOME!!

MeemoHemi said...

You used to make me go on treaties runs. Our first big argument was about treaties. I'd accidently melted your icecream!