Thursday, April 15, 2010

Going Green

Have you seen Planet Earth by National Geographic? One word: Amazing. The cinematography is outstanding and the message is even better. It makes me want to be a better person...environmentally.  One evening I watched the segment on endangered species and realized that I could do a lot more to take care of the earth. So, in trying to be a better steward of the earth, we have gone paperless (well...almost).


We use a ton of paper towels and napkins and so I thought this would be a fairly easy way to reduce a large amount of waste. I made some fun wimsy napkins (I think because the weather was dark and gloomy at the time) using The Purl Bee as a guide. Some day I will make elegant matching ones for when company comes over but for now these work just fine. Simple Mom had a great post to get me started and it worked out great. I use the napkins for meals, ordinary dish towels for common kitchen stuff, and for spills/cleaning/etc. I use these small blue towels that Jason brings home from work (leftovers that weren't used in surgery).

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Cute!! I've thought about switching to cloth napkins, but I can't decide which is better for the environment...using all the water to wash them or using paper? It's a desert out there, ya know. :) So what should I do?

Steph said...

Yay for you!