Wednesday, May 18, 2011

My obsession...

Last year my sister, Ann, told me about this blog by an Alaskan girl who shows you how to make knock off furniture from major companies like Pottery Barn, Land of Nod, Ikea, etc....for a fraction of the price. I thought "cool" but never bothered to looked until I moved to Washington. When I finally got around to looking at the website, I was blown away. Ana White makes building furniture actually possible. The site can be a little overwhelming...there are seriously hundreds of plans. If you are interested, I suggest starting with the "Getting Started Guide".

I was a little wary at first...since I was nervous about even using a drill but it was so much more doable than I originally thought. For my first project I made rolling bins that fit under my kids' bunk bed for their toys (that room is so cramped). I used part of one of Ana's plans and modified the height a bit so the drawers would fit. I needed a little help in the beginning to know how to use the tools but I did most of it myself and it felt so good to finish my first project!! After that, I was addicted.

Next, I made an activity table for my kids. I got sick of cleaning off play dough and ink from my dining room table and wanted a place for them where they could create any time they wanted. I used plans from Ana's blog and it cost me less than fifty dollars to make! That was using all wood too. It would have been cheaper if I used MDF. If I were to buy this new from Land of Nod, it would have cost me 280 dollars.

Then I got ambitious when I saw these plans (part 1 and 2) for a pottery barn craft table. Sooo much space! I was literally giddy with excitement. The table sells for over a thousand dollars at Pottery Barn...way out of my price range...but I was able to build it and add a hutch on top for 150 dollars....total score. This is the first time where all my craft stuff is in one place....I am seriously in love with it.

I have so many plans that I want to make but the weather here isn't exactly ideal to build and the limited space makes it difficult to build a lot of pieces but someday my house will be full of cool stuff that I built...someday.

8 comments:

Mandy said...

So cool! You are a superwoman. Is there anything you can't do?!

Unknown said...

that is awesome!! I love that website and have so many things I want to make but don't know where to start what tools to buy and if I can even use them. You inspire me!

Unknown said...

Love you,
Kayla (not Greg)

Unknown said...

question.. What kind of tools did you use, what type of saw?

Steve said...

Katherine,
So I check out the Alaskan Chick's website. It is amazing and depressing at the same time. It is amazing because she found her "double qualifier" - she is girly and a wood worker - the result is unique and interesting to others.
It is depressing because I can't come up with my double qualifier.

Wesley said...

You are amazing! Those look beautiful!! I've been wanting to make stuff from that website forever too. Maybe someday...

Jesse and Cami Bell said...

Hey Katherine
I am trying to re-enter the blog world.
You are seriously incredible!!! I don't know how you do it ALL. You inspire me to be better.

Shapiro said...

I love Ana White too! I didn't know she was Alaskan! :) I have been drooling and dreaming over and making lists of what I want to make... I'm just a little hesitant to start and worried about what tools I need. I would love to chat more about it.
Thanks for inspiring me to not be hesitant to just go for it!