Sunday, September 19, 2010

Backpacking 101

A few weeks ago we had a grand idea to go camping at the beach with our good friends, Staci and Pete, who we live with. The only problem was that the beach was a three mile hike from our car.  You might wonder what in the world we were thinking taking a two, three, and four year old on a back packing trip.

I was wondering the exact same thing when, after ten minutes into the hike, Eliza had a meltdown on the trail because she didn't want to hold my hand even though she kept tripping on the roots. Needless to say, she was packed on shoulders the rest of the trail...shoulders that were already carrying a 40+ lb backpack...all I was thinking was "Thank goodness it's not me."

Caleb, on the other hand, was a trooper. He hiked three miles in and three miles out with his sleeping bag on his back, and four miles more on a hike we did while we were camping. I was amazed. The beach was nice and sandy and the weather was miraculously sunny the majority of the time.
The beach had the best tide pools for us to look at sea life. We saw starfish, crab, fish,
sea anenome, etc. If you look closely, Eliza is about to touch a big sea anenome.

The beach was also full of hazards. When the tide was low, you had to be careful where you walked or
you could get cut by  barnacles. Jason and Caleb got matching "owies" on the same day.

The kids had a blast running free on the beach and as a result,
 there seemed to be no end to the sand in our tents.

The sunsets were breathtaking and we had the beach all to ourselves to enjoy them.

5 comments:

Christie said...

We love the coast! So glad you could enjoy it, especially with good weather. How fun. The first time I went, I felt like I was in a National Geographic.

Tom, Beth, and Ainsley said...

That sounds so fun! I am impressed by Caleb...but he is your child, he will probably love hiking and camping as much as you! The scenery is beautiful!!!

kayla said...

Thats looks like so much fun!!

Sunduvan said...

Nice family camping trip. I like it

Ann Guevara said...

Gorgeous!! Can't wait to come and visit you guys!!!