I don't know how it started because I didn't grow up making gingerbread houses, but every year for the past three or four years we make a gingerbread house during December. Most people are scared to use real gingerbread but seriously it is like making sugar cookies; it is not difficult. You just roll out the dough and cut out a shape.
I always have visions of intricicate ways I want to decorate the house but then I realize I have a four year old. For now, our houses are pretty simple but one day I want to make something like this...maybe.

Gingerbread House
1 cup shortening
1 cup dark brown sugar (you can substitute regular)
1 Tbs cinnamon
1 Tbs ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup molasses
2 eggs
5 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
In a bowl, mix together the shortening, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. Add the molasses and eggs. Mix thoroughly. In a separate bowl, mix the flour and the baking soda together. Add flour mixture a little at a time until the dough is no longer sticky. Chill thoroughly - overnight or a few hours. Roll out on floured surface until dough is 1/4 inch thick. Place pattern pieces on dough and cut with a sharp knife. Lift carefully onto greased cookie sheet with large spatula spacing pieces at least an inch apart. Bake at 325 degrees about 15-20 minutes until firm. Remove carefully carefully with spatula and cool. Makes enough for two small houses or one big house.
Royal Icing:
1 lb sugar
3 egg whites
1/4 t cream of tartar
Put all ingredients in a mixer bowl and beat at medium speed until fluffy and icing holds a peak (whisk attachment works best).

1 comment:
I think it looks great.
Post a Comment